happiness + health + home + inspiration + about

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

THE VOICE INSIDE YOUR HEAD


How we speak to ourselves matters. It matters BIG TIME.
Most of us are in a state of constant mental chatter. We talk to ourselves all day long and, unfortunately, this self-talk is frequently negative. Often it is tainted with guilt about our past or anxiety about our future.

SO I ASK YOU: What are you saying to yourself as you look at the refection in the mirror, squeeze into those tight jeans, or miss that deadline? What are you thinking about yourself when someone doesn't understand your sense of humor, disagrees with you, or doesn't text as often as you would like? Know this:


We interpret the world based on our own assumptions and beliefs - our thoughts about the way things are or should be. When we look at the world through a lens of love, trust, + optimism, we tend to see good everywhere. When we use a lens of fear or judgement, we find hundreds of reasons to be distrustful.

This concept is true of our inner dialogues as well. If we identify, affirm, + support our inner selves, we feel whole, loved, and at peace even when life produces challenges + surprises.  If we criticize + demean our inner selves, we suffer + we struggle to maintain our sense of self worth + self love. 


The good news? We can test, challenge + change our self-talk. We can change some of the negative aspects of our thinking by challenging the irrational parts + replacing them with more reasonable thoughts. With practice, we can learn to notice our negative self-talk as it happens, + consciously choose to think about the situation in a more realistic + helpful way.

TRY THIS: next time you catch yourself engaging in self-trash-talking, immediately think the word  "CANCEL" and replace your thought with one of these following affirmations:
  • I am capable.
  • I know who I am and I am enough.
  • I choose to be present in all that I do.
  • I choose to think thoughts that serve me well.
  • I choose to reach for a better feeling.
  • I share my happiness with those around me.
  • My body is my vehicle in life; I choose to fill it with goodness.
  • I feel energetic and alive.
  • My life is unfolding beautifully.
  • I am confident.
  • I am beautiful/handsome.
  • I always observe before reacting.
  • I know with time and effort I can achieve.
  • I love challenges and what I learn from overcoming them.
  • Each step is taking me to where I want to be.
Our self-talk creates our reality. Is it time we rewire our brains + create new thoughts + habits? 

#livewell


No comments:

Post a Comment